British police investigating Madeleine McCann’s disappearance are now looking at 18 potentially linked break-ins by a lone intruder into Algarve villas. Six have come to light since an appeal by UK detectives last month, with five involving alleged sexual assaults against young British girls. They include an assault on a girl aged 10 in 2005 in Praia de Luz - the resort from which Madeleine vanished in 2007. Scotland Yard says it hopes UK officers will begin operations in Portugal soon. Last month, the Metropolitan Police revealed they were looking at a series of break-ins, including two burglaries in Praia da Luz. More than 500 calls have been made with information since then.
Their prime suspect for attacks on five other UK girls on the Algarve is an African burglar called Euclides Monteiro, who died in 2009. The heroin addict used to work as a waiter at the Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz on the Algarve but was sacked a year before Madeleine stayed there with her parents. He was killed in a tractor accident, aged 40, two years after the three-year-old vanished.
DCI Andy Redwood makes new appeal for information as part of the investigation into the Disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
Three workers at the holiday complex where Madeleine McCann was last seen made an abnormally high number of calls “outside the resort” on the night she went missing.
British police searching for missing Madeleine McCann want their Portuguese counterparts to search the homes and examine the bank accounts of three former employees of the resort where she vanished, it is reported.
British police have travelled to Portugal to liaise with local officers investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. A Scotland Yard team travelled to the Algarve days after a letter was sent to Portuguese police requesting help with tracking down and interviewing three burglars who were in the area when Madeleine vanished.
British police are poised to make the first arrests in the hunt for missing Madeleine McCann. The Met want to quiz three burglars who carried out raids in the Portuguese resort when the three-year-old vanished. Officers were last night preparing to fly to the Algarve to make their first arrests since the force set up Operation Grange in 2011 to review the kidnapping. They hope to speak to the thieves after mobile phone records showed the men made numerous calls to each other in the hours after she disappeared.
Kate McCann has told of her hope for missing daughter Madeleine and said she is “buoyed”up by Scotland’s Yard’s efforts to find her kidnapper. In a Christmas message she said there had “thankfully been some very positive aspects” in the global search for Maddie.
There are claims a NATO spy plane may have snapped a picture of the man thought to have kidnapped Madeleine McCann. A Portuguese military aircraft took photos of the Algarve coastline on the day the three-year-old disappeared, says British military expert Philip Burden. He claims the images were clear enough to identify buildings and people’s faces and were offered to Portuguese police when Nato officials later learned of Madeleine’s disappearance. Mr Burden said: “The aircraft may provide a new lead in the hunt for Madeleine. During the early and late evening of May 3, 2007, the day Madeleine disappeared from the holiday resort of Praia da Luz, the plane took aerial photos of that stretch of the Algarve.
Detectives searching for new leads in the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann have received 5,000 calls.appearing on the BBC’s Crimewatch programme tonight, Mr Redwood said : "The media appeals produced a fantastic response from the public in all three countries with a total of 3,500 calls and messages in the UK, 850 to Germany, and 650 in Holland. Lots of people have called to say they were in Praia da Luz at the time. All of this information has obviously produced a very large volume of work for the Operation Grange team to work through. I have been in Faro this week working with police colleagues, and I know the appeal generated a large number of calls to the Portuguese police also. I’d like to thank the media and the public for their continued assistance in this challenging enquiry."